Monday, February 14, 2011

"Unpacking the myths that bind us "


                                                                             What is the hidden message in this photos ?

In the article Christen, “Unpacking the myths that binds Us” the author highlights a lot of strong point on about how innocent cartoons that are showed in the media bring a negative message upon children. However, numerous of parents that are letting their child watch these cartoons don’t notice the negative message that is sending to the children in society.  After reading the article I was amused and started to watch short snap of some of the Disney famous film. For example, I was watching the movie Cinderalla  and I noticed that she needed her prince to be happy. However, I felt that to me it was interpreted as, in order for a women to happy she need to have a man by her side.  "A Black Cinderella! Give Me a Break." She wrote: "Have you ever seen a dumb little cartoon with some ducks running around in clothes." Then black person, an Asian, a Hispanic in a cartoon!” (pg 131) The previous quote caught my attention a lot and it had me thinking about all the cartoons and it is true there no lead actor in cartoons that are Hispanic or black. However, all the cartoons that are showed in the media the ones that are not white are shown as being, servant, and nannies. I strongly believe that is sending a negative message to the children of our generation. I have a little cousin who is dark skin and when we go to the stores she would never look at the dolls that are black or would own a doll that black. One day  out curiosity,  I asked why don’t she  like dolls that are same skin colors as her and her response was” Because that white dolls are prettier  and blacks  dolls are never shown on cartoons”. Her response amused me so much that felt bad because in her mind she looking at people that are white are prettier because they are princesses, models and etc.  However, in the media Black female are shown as servant, angry, ugly, and as they grow they start to think that are like the black individual is shown on TV. “I start by showing students old cartoons because the stereotypes are so blatant. We look at the roles women, men, people of color, and poor 'people play in the cartoons. I ask students to watch for who plays the lead, who plays the buffoon! Who plays the servant?”(129)  The previous quote was something  that I asked myself,  and  I honestly, believe that old Disney portray women in a negative way and represents women as being weak in society and can’t not find good  jobs. “What would young children learn about women's roles in society if they watched these film”(pg 129) If , you ask me the women that we see in all the old Disney movies their role In society are nothing positive because none of the princesses are happy with what they have and depend  o n a man to be happy. I believe that is sending a message to all young females that in order to be happy you need to be with a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment