Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Reflectionn on "A Tangle of Discourses: Girls Negotiating Adolescence"

After reading the article “A Tangle of Discourses: Girls Negotiating Adolescence” written by Rebecca C.  Raby, there were numerous of her statement that she made in her article that I disagree with. For instance, one main thing I do not agree with is they way teenagers are defined in the article. “Yeah, I think that teenagers, they are trouble- maker and they do things” (pg 444) I disagree, with the previous quote all teenagers are not trouble maker and should not be labeled as trouble- maker. I’m currently doing my internship at a program called Youth Build and I deal different kinds of teenagers. For instance, some of teens are dropped out of school for numerous of negative factors such as, getting in trouble with law enforcement, or lost their track using drugs.  Yes, I do understand that the majority of teenagers do cause trouble but us as a community we cannot continue to label these teenagers as trouble maker. After, I read this article the next day I went into my internship site and asked one of the students “how do you feel when you are defined  as a trouble-maker” the student response was”  I don’t like it because it makes me feel  like people to have faith in me” . As, I heard the student respond I was heartbroken because teenagers become who they are because the negative way they are labeled by other individuals. In my internship, we played an activity where the students had to come up with a positive quote.  However, that activity touched my heart in a way I have never been touched by anything. One quote a student came up was with” life is like photography we develop from the negative”. I said to myself these students are brilliant they have potentials   to go forward in life and be successful they just need to be positive and get motivation from other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment